Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Anticipating Carnival

As most ppl can tell from my MSN name I am eagerly awaiting the start of the carnival season. I have promised myself I will not miss any of the Friday Mass Camp fetes.

My excitement seems almost childish, even to me. From August of last year I was aching for Soca fetes. It reached a fever pitch right after Hard Wine (a fete on campus)
Where I had a blast, as far as I was concerned Feb could not come fast enough.

In the midst of all this I have wondered if my expectations are too high. Last year was the first time I had ever participated to such an extent in the carnival season. I must say it was great, and from then, I knew I couldn’t wait till the following year to do it again.

Really though, even though I know I will have fun, will it be as fulfilling as last year?
These Questions pop up because of one previous experience; My first Session.

I had never been to any party or function where there weren’t at least 2 pastors and the music (if any) provided by the TV commercials because it was left on.
I can say unequivocally that that $50 fete in Irving’s Reading Room In November of 1999 was the GREATEST Fete I have ever been to. I stayed until the selectors were packing up, I essentially stayed by myself and enjoyed the music giving ‘gun’ salutes to the big tunes as Base Xs Tore the place up.

I realize that this was due to the fact that that fete kind of symbolized for me the fact that I was no longer in my parents house and that I was Free to do as I chose.

By extension I am wondering if My expectations of this year’s
Season is fueled by excitement of last year because it was a novelty. In any case there is only one way to find out, and I have every intention to. Like I sad before, there is no Question, I will have a blast, but will the blast match up, or even surpass last year is yet to be seen.

4 comments:

Bashmentbasses said...

A gwaan tell yu pupa pon yu!

bassChocolate said...

Don't burden yourself with expectations. Just go and have fun.

Mummy Mel` said...

What bass chocolate said, and make sure you go with people who will keep your vibe going even if the music not so hot.

B said...

Amen! Don't worry about what last year was. This year is here, just enjoy the music for itself and have a good lyme with your friends and you will enjoy this year too. :-D